Tag, Title, and Registration

Tags, Titles, and Registration

Home Revenue Commission Tags & Titles Mapping and Appraisal Assesment Collections


Pam Taylor
Revenue Commissioner
Po Box 310
Wedowee, AL 36278

Fax 256-357-4344

Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm


What Should I Bring When Applying For My Vehicle License? 




Vehicle Purchased From An Alabama Dealer

If vehicle was purchased from an Alabama Dealer, please bring the following:

  • Alabama Department of Revenue title application or original title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO).
  • Bill of Sale, or invoice.  Sales tax must be itemized.
  • Vehicle must be registered within twenty (20) calendar days from the date of purchase.

Purchased From An Individual-Alabama

If vehicle was purchased from an individual with Alabama title, please bring the following:

  • Original title (completely filled out and signed over by the seller).
  • Bill of Sale
  • Odometer reading is required for any transfer of a motor vehicle less than ten (10) years old and under 16,000 lbs.
  • If vehicle is 1974 or older, person must bring a bill of sale ; buyer must also provide make, model, year, vehicle identification number (VIN) and color.
  • Vehicle must be registered within twenty (20) calendar days from the date of purchase.

Owner named on title must come in person, or give someone a power of attorney to title for him/her.  By law, the specific individual(s) who is/are the legal owner of a vehicle must personally apply for his/her Alabama title certificate and license plates.   Must have Alabama driver's license.

Purchased Out of State

If vehicle was purchased out of state, please bring the following:

  • The original title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)
  • Bill of Sale, required to determine sales tax liability.
  • Owner must come in person (as previously stated).
  • Vehicle must be registered within twenty (20) calendar days from the date of purchase or within twenty (20) days of returning to the State.

Registration of Out of State Vehicle

If vehicle currently is registered out-of-state and moving to Alabama, please bring the following:

  • Original Title
  • Your current tag registration from the previous state (show tag expiration date)
  • Owner's name on title must come in person.


Vehicle financed when purchased out-of-state or from Alabama individual, please bring the following:

  • Copy of original title, front and back from lien holder.
  • Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Wyoming are states that send original title to the owner and not the lien holder.  Owners from these states must surrender the title to obtain the Alabama title.

  • Owner must come in person.


How Does a Handicapped Person Obtain Special Plates for Parking Privileges 

Handicapped License Plates or Placards

  • Applications for handicapped License Plates may be obtained from any office of the License Commissioner.

  •  Application must be signed by a local physician and vehicle must be titled in the name of the person making the application.

  • Handicapped placards may be obtained by submitting the above application.

  •  Vehicle does not have to be titled in the name of the handicapped person and the placards may be displayed in any vehicle in which the handicapped person is a passenger.


 Tag Renewals:

  • Your Alabama motor vehicle license plate/decal must be renewed each year.

  • Renewal reminders will be mailed to the last known address as a courtesy at the beginning of the scheduled renewal month. 

  • If you have changed your address since your last renewal or vehicle purchase, please notify the office at (256) 357-4343. 

  • It is the owner's responsibility to renew your tag/decal during the correct renewal month .

  • The first letter of your last name determines the month in which your renewal is due.

  •  All tag renewals may be processed at the Randolph County Courthouse Building or through the mail if you received a renewal reminder for your vehicle.  You can now renew your tag online , https://title.mvtrip.alabama.gov/


  • The amount you pay to renew your tag is a combination of your ad valorem tax assessment and a license fee.

  •  The ad valorem taxes are determined by multiplying the state-assigned value of your vehicle by the assessment rate (based on the classification of the vehicle), then multiplying the assessed value by the millage rate determined by your address.

  •  Effective, January 1, 2000, all ad valorem taxes are collected at the time of registration.  Please note:  A mail fee of $2.00 is charged for tag renewals processed through the mail.

Tag Renewal Information 

  • Once a vehicle is registered in your name, it is necessary to renew the registration each year according to the renewal schedule listed below:

  • All vehicles in Alabama are personal property.  Property tax is paid in advance from the time of registration until your renewal month.


  • To renew your registration you must show previous tag receipt in your name or a renewal card,  Even if you do not receive a courtesy notice, it is your responsibility to renew your tag before the expiration date.

  • Note:  Please notice the decal on your license plate.  If the month on your plate has passed, your tag is expired.  Example - if your plate shows August, the renewal must be made before September 1st. 

Mandatory Liability Insurance 

  • Beginning June 1, 2000, "No person shall operate, register or maintain registration of a motor vehicle unless the motor vehicle is covered by a liability insurance policy, bond, or deposit of cash."

  • This requirement affects automobiles, pickups, trucks, motorcycles, motor homes, and other self-propelled vehicles.  (Registrants must "affirm" that they are in compliance with the MLI requirements when applying for new registration or renewals).



Personalized & Distinctive Alabama Tags

Alabama Distinctive Tags




Personalized Tags

General Information:

  • Personalized tags may be ordered for most private passenger and commercial vehicles, and some motorcycle, bus, camper or antique vehicles.

  • The combination of letters/numbers requested must not conflict with the regular number system and is subject to State of Alabama Revenue Department approval.  A maximum of seven characters will be allowed.


  • The fee for personalizing most specialty tags is $50.00.

  • You may personalize the "Helping Schools" tag for $30.00.  This fee is added to your standard issuance fee and ad valorem assessments.

  • If a personalized tag is stolen or lost, you can apply for a replacement tag and decals at a cost of $2.00.

Frequently Asked Questions About Personalized Tags:

  • How do I get a personalized car or truck tag?

    • You can save time by visiting the Alabama Department of Revenue website at revenue.alabama.gov to see if your choice is available.

    •  The cost for reserving a personalized plate is $2.00 and payment must be made online using either VISA or MASTERCARD.  Once approved, the reservation will be valid for five business days.

How long will it take for me to receive my personalized tag?

  • Our office will provide you with a registration receipt and a 60-day temporary tag.

  •  After the plate is manufactured, it will be mailed to your address




  • There is an $18.00 title application fee.

  • If you buy a vehicle from a dealer, they are required by law to collect the sales tax due.

  • If you buy a vehicle from another individual, sales tax will be collected at the time title is transferred.

Frequently Asked Questions Related to Titles:

  • What is the procedure to get a replacement title and how much does it cost?

    • A completed application for found at https://title.mvtrip.alabama.gov/ is mailed directly by you to the State Department of Motor Vehicles along with a $15.00 cashier's check or money order made payable to the Alabama Department of Revenue.

    • These forms are available at the Randolph County Revenue office or this website. The replacement title is mailed to the applicant normally within 2 or 3 weeks.

  • I've just bought a vehicle from an individual. How long do I have to transfer the title?

    • Vehicles must be transferred within 20 calendar days of the date of purchase to avoid penalties.

  • I just moved to randolph County from another state. How long do I have to register my vehicles?

    • New Alabama residents have 30 calendar days to register vehicles if their out-of-state tags are valid.

  • How long before I receive my Certificate of Title in the mail?

    • After the application is made and approved, the State of Alabama will mail the title directly to the registered owner or lien holder normally within 4 to 5 weeks.

  • I am paying by check for a new title at the Randolph County Courthouse.  Who should my check be made payable to?

    • Your check should be payable to: Pam Taylor, Revenue Commissioner, Counter checks, starter checks, or out-of-county/state checks are not accepted.

  • Do you take credit cards?

    • yes!  We do currently accept credit cards except American Express.  Cash, check, money order, or cashier's check only.